Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Skillet Grilled Cheese w/ Arugula and Leftover Ham


Call me 'the Leftover Queen' because the crown fits. I hate (and especially since getting control of my finances -- see here) throwing away good food. Following a weekend at my dad's house where ham was served (and extra's were bagged for Natalie) I thought to myself how I could make it work into my week in a non-leftover way (seriously, where's the fun in just heating it up?) So, alas, an old classic turned chic. With the mellow spiciness of the arugula and the all-too familiar kraft cheese (but fat-free this time) I made this sandwich that knocked my socks off. And for cheap. Hurrah.

Servings: 1

What You'll Need:
  • 2 slices white bread
    • Even Better Option: 35-calorie-a-slice Nature's Own Wheat Bread (it doesn't taste low calorie -- win!)
  • 1 cup arugula
  • 2 slices Kraft cheese (fat-free if you can swing it)
  • 2 thick slices of ham
  •  "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" Spray (if you don't have this, you can use butter-flavored cooking spray, or just regular cooking spray)
  • Regular Cooking Spray for frying pan
The Step-By-Step:
  1.  Layer a cheese slice, the ham, the arugula, and another cheese slice in between the two slices of bread.
  2. Spray the pan with 
  3. Spray the top of the top slice with butter spray.
  4. Flip the sandwich onto the pan, so you're placing it sprayed-side down.
  5. Let cook for 2 minutes, and then spray the top side with spray butter.
  6. Flip and cook for 2 more minutes.
  7. Serve.
here's to unboring.
xoxo n

No comments :