Friday, November 1, 2013

Israeli Cous Cous with Apples & Cranberries


Hi everyone -- made this the other day on a whim and I just had to share. Israeli Cous Cous (its like a happy medium between rice and pasta, and in a ball shape) is delicious! I simply cooked mine in chicken broth, and added in dried canberries and diced apples. It was SOOOO delicious. Sorry, usually I am better at describing the food I make, but literally that is the only word I can think of. I made another batch just a couple of days later, because Austin gobbled up what was in my fridge and it made me sad that there was none left for me! Hahaha. Not to mention -- it takes 20 minutes!

Servings: 4 (makes four side dishes, if you want it to be a main dish, it will only make two servings -- and add a protein like chicken -- yum!)

What You'll Need:
  • 2/3 cup Israeli CousCous (sometimes called "Pearl CousCous" -- to get an idea of the price, I got a box of the stuff from Trader Joe's for $2.99 -- totally doable on any budget!)
  • 1 cup fat-free chicken broth (such as Swanson's)
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries (Craisin's works!)
  • 1/2 an apple
  • Pinch of Salt, Pepper, & Garlic Powder
  • OPTIONAL: Olive Oil, Crushed Garlic
The Step-by-Step:
  1. Heat the chicken broth in a small pot  (the size appropriate for heating a can of soup,) then add the cous cous
  2. Stir, and let cook until the liquid almost disappears (about 6-8 minutes)
  3. While the cous cous is cooking, take the cranberries and cut them into small pieces, and then take the apple and cut it into small chunks
  4. When the cous cous is done, turn off  the heat and let sit for 2 minutes
  5. Add in the cranberries, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir
  6. Optional: If the cous cous is sticking together, add a dash of olive oil
  7. Optional: For more flavor, mix a little bit of crushed fresh garlic
  8. When serving, top with some apple chunks!


This warm, comforting, yet fruity dish lends a nice change from the usual. The chicken broth adds a depth of poultry flavor that you would miss by cooking the cous cous in plain water... so all in all, this is kind of like a healthy cousin of thanksgiving turkey with cranberry sauce. Enjoy this clean eating!
xoxo n

side note
this past weekend, i reunited with lots of college friends at my alma mater's homecoming -- one of Austin's fraternity brothers came up to me and said they love my blog and made my breakfast avocado! it really touched me!! even though this blog is a labor of love, and i truly love writing about my cooking escapades -- your comments as readers really keep me going on those tough long days. i really appreciate your words, alex! :)

No comments :