Monday, October 21, 2013

Honey Apple Parfaits


This weekend I couldn't keep myself from making another vat of my homemade applesauce. Quite honestly, Austin wasn't complaining. I left the slow cooker on, bubbling with apple juices -- and headed straight to the thrift store for an afternoon with friends. I don't thrift often, but when I do (stay thirsty my friends?) I always find the greatest things. I ran across two great martini glasses --  and being who I am -- I immediately thought of how wonderful they would show off a parfait.

I used my applesauce for this -- but feel free to used store-bought (go unsweetened! you'll never turn back!) to make a quick, filling, and simple breakfast. I served mine with orange slices. Again, Austin wasn't complaining. Yum!

Servings: 1 (ingredient amounts below are for each individual parfait -- If you have company, just repeat!)

What You'll Need:
  • 1 Individual Greek Yogurt (whatever flavor you have -- I used honey -- but I find that most yogurt flavors pair beautifully with applesauce -- think Mango Apple or Pineapple Apple, for instance.)
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup granola (I used Special K's Low Fat Granola in 'Touch of Honey')
The Step-by-Step
  1. I won't insult you guys with the step-by-step :) Just layer the three ingredients until you reach the top of the glass. Top with more granola.
-------------

This doesn't keep very long -- so unfortunately, you can't really make it the night before or in advance. The moisture from the granola and the applesauce will make the granola soggy with time -- so I recommend this for weekend breakfasts when you're not in a rush -- and you can pair this with a steaming cup of coffee and a morning paper :)

xoxo n

No comments :