Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sweet Potato & Roasted Apple Soup

Please forgive my kitchen table with things on it.... I'm 23 and normal.
 
A couple of weeks ago, I went to happy hour with some work friends here in DC. Being that every restaurant seems to adopt "seasonal is cool" fad once October rolls around, their soup of the day was Pumpkin. Of course, I HAD to try some with my Sam Adams Seasonal Ale. It was pretty good, as most of the dishes at that restaurant are, but two weeks later, I was still thinking about it. Finally, after much back and forth, I decided to muster up my own kitchen confidence and put my own spin on it. It's not just for chef's right?

Creamy and filling, this Sweet Potato soup literally takes 2 minutes to come together on the stove once you have all the ingredients, and as corny (catch the seasonal pun) as it sounds, it "tastes like fall." When I poured myself a bowl and tasted it, the world literally faded away. Best part -- I did the math, and this has like 200 calories for a bowl. Amen.

Servings: 2 (1 & 1/2 cups each)

What You'll Need:
  • 1 can sweet potato puree (or canned pumpkin if you can't find sweet potato)
  • 1 can fat free low sodium chicken broth (such as Swanson brand)
  • 1/2 cup fat free half and half
  • 2 medium-sized apples (you want sweet ones, so don't use green ones!)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • OPTIONAL: Plain Lowfat yogurt for topping
The Step-by-Step:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line an oven pan with foil. Slice apples and place on pan. Roast apples for 25 minutes.
  2. While roasting, do something else, such as cleaning your apartment (ahem.)
  3. When apples are done (you can smell them wafting through the air while, say, cleaning your apartment) take them out of the oven and let cool while....
  4. On the stove, combine chicken broth with sweet potato puree over medium high heat. Stir with a whisk until combined. Let heat for 5 minutes.
  5. Place apple slices and half & half in a blender, and blend until combined (about 20 seconds.)
  6. Add apple mixture to sweet potato mixture, and stir. Add the cinnamon, and stir some more!
  7. To serve -- spoon into some bowls, and top with a spoonful of yogurt. Sprinkle some cinnamon or pie spice on top for decoration.
---------------
Oh, did you think #AppleFest was a game?
Shame on you! I have tons of apples to use up, and like I said, I'm more than willing to get creative. I hope in the spur of my creativity, that I can inspire you too!

Based on how easy and delicious this soup was, I can tell I'm going to make lots more soup when it gets colder in the upcoming weeks. It keeps well in the fridge, and reheating is a no-brainer. Plus, I'm a sucker for things that make me feel like I'm wrapped in a blanket. Plus, its seasonal and healthy. What more could a girl want?

Remember -- I want to know what you're thinking! #THAppleFest

xoxo n

No comments :