Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Honey Mustard Baked Chicken w/ Thyme


Who doesn't love Honey Mustard? Well, better question -- who grew up not liking it? That would be ME. In my tradition Jamaican family, Honey Dijon was just not on the condiment shelf. Now that I'm an adult, its flavor is calling me -- like a siren to a pirate -- that was random, I know -- but seriously.

I found this pin on Pinterest around the holidays when I was looking for a creative chicken dish to contribute to our Christmas dinner table. Nothing too crazy, I still wanted everyone to enjoy it -- and of 7 people with different tastes, I knew this would be hard. The original sharer of the recipe uses rosemary, but I chose to add fresh thyme that my Mom was already using that day (it's a Jamaican staple) as well as add more spice for that kick I love. Plus, I didn't feel the need to add red wine vinegar. The maple syrup was a hit out the ballpark -- the combination of sweet and savory reminded me of going out for Chicken & Waffles here in DC (if you aren't familiar with it, just think of amazingness.) And like I kind of mentioned before, Honey Mustard is a pretty fantastic siren that will (literally) rock your boat.

Serves 10 people (2-3 people per chicken breast used)

What You'll Need:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil (or cooking spray if you have that)
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup (I used the "Light" version to cut back on calories)
  • 1/2 cup honey mustard
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Foil
  • Fresh Thyme (if you have another herb like oregano, rosemary, or basil, get creative!)
    • Money-Saver: Italian Seasoning works here too. You can buy it for about $1.50 on the spice aisle at the grocery store. I even saw it at my CVS.
  • Oven & 13x9 Pan (a brownie pan)

The Step-by-Step:

...

  1. Spread olive oil in pan (or spray with cooking spray.)
  2. Rinse the chicken breasts gently with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels, and place in pan side-by-side.
  3. Sprinkle each chicken breast with salt and pepper. (If you like spice, add more pepper, you flavor beast!)
  4. In a mixing bowl, combine syrup and mustard. Add a little thyme and stir. (I added even more pepper here!)
  5. Pour the syrup mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
  6. Cover with foil.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes.
  8. Take off foil and put back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
  9. Remove from oven and add more thyme. Slice the breasts and serve.
I have to admit -- I've made this many times since Christmas dinner. I missed it, and it's so easy.
I actually go to the store and buy fresh thyme because it smells like my mommy!

xoxo n

Side Note:
My aunt visiting from Jamaica said she doesn't usually like chicken breast because it gets dry, but this was the best she's ever had! This will officially be a Neilson staple. Let me know if it becomes one of yours too :)



No comments :