Sunday, February 16, 2014

#WWHD: Southwestern BBQ Chicken Salad


In the spirit of finding something quick to eat (and to kick off this awesome work week challenge  (#WWHD)) -- I'm a big fan of wholesome, filling, and TASTY salads. Yes, salads -- what, did you think I was going to say steak? I mean, yes, steak is also filling and tasty -- but sometimes, thats not what your body really needs after a long day. It needs nutrients, not just protein. In that spirit, the other day -- after a late workout -- I realized I was low on energy, and quickly threw together this salad based on what I had in my fridge. If you do not have the exact brand items, feel free to sub in some spinach or plain salad mix, chicken and barbecue sauce for the meat, or throw together some canned corn and bottled salsa for a similar taste combination. After all, when your day is coming to an end, sometimes you need to be flexible!

Servings: 1

What You'll Need:

  • 1/3 a package of Trader Joe's Pulled Chicken in BBQ Sauce
    • The package will last you 3 salads, so buy and be happy!
  • 2 cups chopped kale
    • One bag of kale is about 6 cups!
  • 2 tbsp Trader Joe's Chile Corn Salsa
  • Drizzle of Olive Oil

The Step-by-Step:
  1. Heat chicken per package directions (about 2-3 minutes)
  2. Arrange kale on plate.
  3. Spread corn salsa over the kale.
  4. Top with the chicken, and drizzle with some olive oil.

So easy, trust me, you won't miss the steak.

xoxo n

For more info about the #WWHD feature, please see the below post, or head on over to The Gym Bag Diaries!

No comments :