Friday, April 18, 2014

Spaghetti with "Meat" Sauce


I say this often on my blog -- but "there is nothing like" a good plate of (insert classic dish here.) I mean, take that as a good thing, right? That means I only post recipes I'm proud to eat, and that I love to eat! The writer in me is screaming like "why are you so repetitive; they're going to get bored" -- but, at the end of the day, I remind myself that I take pride in what I do and what I post. And I make mistakes too (trust me -- I made this buffalo chicken mac and cheese the other night, and it was a hot sauce-laden disaster) -- so I have to brush it off, figure out a better way to do it, and move forward.

With that being said, there is nothing better than a good plate of SPAGHETTI. Personally, I love it. And I hate it as well. When you're trying to cut back on your overeating habits, putting pasta in front of me is like putting an alcoholic in a bar. Which is why I've figured out a way to make it work -- are you ready for it -- using quality ingredients! Yes, quality. Have you ever found yourself pouring on shredded cheddar cheese on pasta (you know, from the bag) and it not really making a difference? Now think of a time you put a chunk of Parmesan or Gouda in your mouth -- whoa, right? Ever picked up a cheese sample at Whole Foods? Those pieces are the size of your pinky nail, but you can taste it. That's what I'm talking about when I say quality. So while you need to focus on quantity to be healthy, use quality to make it happen! I will forever scream this from the mountaintops if I must -- LESS IS MORE, and if it's not, you're using the wrong brand!

Ok, I've climbed back down from the mountaintop now. This particular spaghetti is meatless, but ground turkey, chicken, or even bison can also work! Use what's in your fridge! You can get a pound of ground meat these days for $3.50 or less!

Servings: 4

What You'll Need:

  • 1/2 a package of Multigrain or Whole Wheat Spaghetti
    • Even Better Option: Corn or Brown Rice Spaghetti ($1.99 at Trader Joe's)
  • 1 bottle Marinara Sauce
    • E.B.O: Look for a brand with lower sodium then the rest (think of your swim suit in a couple months)
  • 1/2 a pound of ground beef
    • E.B.O: Ground turkey, chicken, bison
    • What I used: 1 package of Morningstar Meatless Crumbles (which is made of soy but is made to taste/look similar to meat, yum! My very carnivorous boyfriend still loved it!)
  • Small block of a strong-flavored cheese
    • Good cheeses to keep in mind: Gouda, Extra-Sharp White Cheddar, Goat, Feta, Gruyere
    • Keep in mind that cheese is often sold by weight, so if you go to a supermarket, pick up the smallest chunk you can find (the garlic cheddar you see in the picture cost me $1.31 at Whole Foods, and it lasted for days)
  • Cooking Spray
  • Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder

The Step-by-Step:
  1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
  2. In a separate pan over medium heat, spray cooking spray and then add ground meat. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use a spoon to separate meat as it cooks -- this should take about 10 minutes. There should be no pink or red-colored meat at this point.
  3. Add in marinara sauce and stir until well combined.
  4. Taste, and add more pepper, salt, or garlic until it suits your fancy!
  5. Serve by placing about a cup of noodles on the plate, then top it with a spoonful or so of sauce. Then to top it off, grate your cheese block to add a little pop of flavor. If you don't have a grater, use a sharp knife to get some good slices!
  6. If you need a good side dish, check out the recipe for my Easy Garlic Broccolini!

There ya have it -- a good plate of xxx -- and hopefully many more to come! :)

xoxo n

No comments :