Monday, April 28, 2014

Strawberry-Stuffed French Toast



I was riding home on the bus today, and thought to start reading the May issue of SELF Magazine that I had found in my mailbox this morning and hastily threw in my bag. If you don't read SELF, you should -- they've done a major redesign and have become (in my eyes) one of the best "we love fitness but are still hip" magazines out there. I always find their information fun yet helpful for my fitness journey. Plus -- I love their recipes!!! They had a few more than usual this month because they are having their annual "Drop 10" diet plan to get slim for summer, and the recipes were bomb dot com! I literally almost started to drool right there on the bus! Their "Blueberry stuffed french toast" particularly caught my eye, but since I didn't have all the ingredients, I improvised. I had a bunch of strawberries but no blueberries, and instead of the plain greek yogurt, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract that it required, I had a single cup of vanilla greek yogurt -- and it worked!

Sure enough, it still came out delicious! Who knows, maybe I'll drop ten ;)

Servings: 1

What You'll Need:

  • About 5 fresh strawberries (whole)
  • 1/2 a cup of vanilla greek yogurt (I love the Yoplait -- only 100 cals!)
  • 2 slices whole-wheat bread
    • I didn't have whole wheat, but used Nature's Own Honey Wheat!
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp milk (I used almond milk!)
  • Cooking Spray
The Step-by-Step:
  1. Slice strawberries in half; set aside.
  2. Spread greek yogurt on both pieces of bread (like you're making a PB&J.)
  3. Make a sandwich by arranging the strawberries on top of one of the slices of bread, and topping with the other slice.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, cinnamon, and milk.
  5. Spray a small pan with cooking spray, and let it heat.
  6. Carefully, dunk the sandwich in the egg mixture, then turn it over, making sure that both slices of bread get dunked in the egg.
  7. Cook on the stove for 3 minutes on each side.
  8. Serve with more fresh strawberries, and some maple syrup if you have it!
xoxo n

No comments :